Saturday, April 12, 2014

CONFESSIONS OF A MOM


There was a blog post that circulated Facebook a little while ago that I wanted to comment on. I debated whether or not to get into specifics, but I don’t think that’s necessary. In my opinion, this particular post doesn’t need anymore traffic than it already received.

It talked about a particular popular movie and the hidden agenda the blog author felt it held. Since I hadn’t seen the movie yet I was curious about it, so I clicked on the link and began to read. The farther I read the more uncomfortable I became. The author was making some pretty heavy assumptions. I never finished the article. Then many weeks later, I saw this particular movie.

In the back of my mind I wondered how accurate I would find the statements in this blog post. I could see exactly what she was talking about. But at the same time it began to really ruin a good movie for me. So I pushed it aside and enjoyed the rest of the film. It was an incredible movie.

Since I’ve seen the movie, I’ve thought about the accusations made by this blog author who happens to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the same church I belong to. Now I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and they have the freedom to express that opinion in a manner they see fit. What I also see is that accusing people of having hidden agendas in wrong, in my opinion.

As an author, I have seen the prejudice the idea of having a “hidden agenda” can cause. Good books are not published by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints because people are afraid that the authors of such books have hidden agendas of indoctrinating or brainwashing the public. Or books by members of the Church are published then blacklisted because people are afraid of the “hidden agendas” that may or may not be there. It’s sad all the way around.

Granted, there are those who do have those agendas though I find it hard to believe that the majority of people sit at their desks or computers or whatever and think, “What hidden agenda can I mix in with something that might be really popular today?” Maybe I’m being naive in that statement, but at the same time I truly believe that most people are inherently good. Most people are not out to get those around them.

This particular blog author spoke her mind and now I’m speaking mine. It is a dangerous road to go around accusing others of having hidden agendas. We don’t want people accusing us of the same thing so we need to provide the same courtesy to others. The golden rule comes to mind at this point too. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” The Savior Jesus Christ taught, “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” If you want others to accuse you of things then that’s one thing. If you don’t . . . well that’s something to think about.

Now don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not accusing this blog author of anything. I’m simply stating my opinion that as an author/musician/artist, I don’t want people accusing me of having a hidden agenda. People may look too deeply into something and create their own hidden agenda for me, but that is the farthest thing from my mind. I just want to share a story, piece of music, or something I consider beautiful with those around me. And as I extend that same courtesy to others, I hope they extend it to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment